When you have concerns about breastfeeding due to:
- Breast Surgeries such as reductions, implants or biopsies.
- Health concerns such as Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, Diabetes, Thyroid issues, etc.
- Previous unsuccessful breastfeeding experience.
- When you are adopting a baby and hope to breastfeed the adoptive baby.
- When you are experiencing PAIN while nursing. Some discomfort is to be expected. We describe the discomfort as being at the level of a mild sunburn (perhaps a four on a scale of one to 10, with 10 being high pain). Beyond that you should call for help.
- When your nipples are cracked and/or bleeding. OUCH!!
- When you are concerned about baby's weight gain.
- When your doctor is concerned about baby's weight gain and is suggesting formula supplementation.
- Any breastfeeding questions that are beyond the scope of your other care providers.
To find an IBCLC in your area you can search the International Lactation Consultant Association website here.