The modern nemesis of all lactation support people is.....the lactation cookie! I see posts all the time on IBCLC and La Leche League Leader pages venting their frustration that the answer to every breastfeeding malady seems to be the lactation cookie. I am right there with them.
- My baby isn't gaining weight well and my doctor wants me to supplement.....just eat some lactation cookies and your supply will skyrocket. (Do we know why baby isn't gaining weight?)
- I was only able to pump three ounces at my last sitting what can I do?......just eat some lactation cookies and your supply will skyrocket. (No mention that three ounces is a great amount to have pumped and a full feeding for a breastfed baby is two to four ounces.)
- My breasts don't feel as full as they used to......just eat some lactation cookies and you will instantly feel fuller. (No mention that all mamas stop feeling "overly full" after their supply is established around three months for most mothers.)
- My baby has a tongue tie and I don't want to get it revised but I want to increase my supply.....just eat some lactation cookies and it will all be better. (If that baby has a tongue tie and is unable to nurse effectively, increasing her supply will only lead to plugged ducts and mastitis since baby can't empty breast effectively.)
Do you see what I'm saying? The lactation cookie can only do just so much. How can you increase your milk supply for real?
- Breastfeeding your baby frequently with a proper latch is the best way to increase your supply. Look at how often you are feeding baby. If you are scheduling feeds, consider allowing baby to feed on demand or decreasing the time between feedings.
- If baby's latch is not great, getting some help to work on that will make things much better. So many mamas don't go back to their hospital lactation center after baby is born, but a visit there could make a world of difference.
- Learning more about lactation such as how your breasts work, how much to bottle feed a breastfed baby, how much and how often to pump, etc. will relieve many of your fears.
- Stop stressing. Stress can decrease your supply.
- Stop listening to well-meaning family and friends that are making your doubt your milk supply.
If you do all of the above and still want to eat some lactation cookies, go ahead. Enjoy a cookie :)